THE LITTLE THEATRE - SHERINGHAM NORFOLK UK
Built in 1897, what is now the Little Theatre was originally the Town Hall and in 1914 silent films were shown here.
By the time the talking pictures appeared on the scene it was known as The Picture House and could seat 280 people.
A Mr Victor Harrison took over the lease in 1930 and installed what was then a new sound system and opened with the film Canaries Sometimes Sing.
In 1958 Sadlers who owned the Regent ran it and changed its name to The Empire.
The part of the current theatre, which is now the foyer, was at one time Hacks Electrical.
It closed as a cinema in 1960.
The same year it re-opened as The Little Theatre and is on a prominent corner in the centre of Sheringham, in Norfolk.
This is now a very successful Repertory Theatre producing a wide variety of entertainment, Comedy nights, Art Exhibitions in the Foyer, latest film releases, Tragedies, Farce and the well loved Pantomime.
For a full list of upcoming shows, please visit the Theatre's main web site: www.sheringhamlittletheatre.co.uk.
HISTORY - THE OLD REGENT CINEMA
Just before the Electric closed, CA Sadler built the Regent Hall, which was home to the Sheringham Players and Operatic Society.
It was a beautiful theatre and well used. It became a cinema for the talkies and is believed that the first film shown was Sunny Side up. In 1938 the theatre boasted of its Duosonic Sound System, it could seat 600 people at a time.
On refurbishment the seating capacity was reduced to 534 around 1947, when admission prices were between 4p to 13p. Films were shown once a night and two on a Saturday. The Cinema closed in 1960.
The building then became an auctioneers salesroom, sweet shop and general store.
Not long after that the Sheringham Sportsmans and Ex- Servicemans Club, known locally at the Top Club, moved in from just across the road. This is now the Sheringham Social Club.
The shops on the corner have changed hands several times over the past few years!